Jesus. Family. Travel. Food.
Hey y’all! Welcome to my blog! I’m Valerie Duty Citrano, or The Texas Pie Lady to some. These pages will be filled with food and stories of our travels in our home state of Texas and places around the world. I hope that sharing our adventures will inspire you to travel more and enjoy your vacations to the fullest.
I am a professional photographer who’s had the awesome experience of photographing Presidents, Princes and Prime Ministers. Those adventures could fill a book! I won’t bore ya with all that here though. Now, hopefully, my photos on these pages will showcase the diverse beauty of this amazing world we live in.
Now…. Let’s talk about food and traveling.
I never planned on working in a restaurant. Never, EVER! Then I met my husband, Donald who’s been in the business since he was a kid, and I guess it was inevitable. Funny how life happens. So, now I’m a baker who has been published in several magazines and even a cookbook published by Southern Living who featured my pies. I had the opportunity to learn to cook not just from both my grandmothers who were pretty good cooks in their own way, but from a French trained chef that even had his own cooking show. Now I bake for my husband’s restaurant, The Coffee Shop Cafe in McGregor, Texas. This may not have been my plan in life, but I’m sure enjoying it! Never say never.
Donald and I love to travel and explore new places. I want to see and experience as much of this earth that God made for us as I can before he takes me home. What a fascinating, diverse place He has created with creatures big and small, sunrises and sunsets, oceans, deserts and rolling plains, foods that enrich our body while bringing us joy and people that never cease to amaze me!
Our four grown kids (they will always be my babies), our daughter-in-love and three grands come along from time to time and make things even more interesting. You’ll be meeting them along the way.
If you enjoy food and traveling, be sure to keep an eye here and on our social media pages. I’ll be sharing our adventures and recipes along the way! Be sure to comment or ask questions. Our guests mean a lot to us! Thanks for stopping by!
A few of the places we have traveled to…
- Europe … This is where we go back to over and over again! You’d never be able to see it all even in a lifetime, but we are sure trying! Italy and France are by far our favorite countries, but England, Greece, Turkey, Germany, Hungary, Austria and the Czech Republic are all wonderful places!
- Middle East.. Israel, Jordan and Egypt. Three of the most fascinating countries! A dream came true visiting Giza and the pyramids! I’ve read about Egypt since I was a kid and never thought I’d ever get to experience it myself! I actually went went back a second time and took a cruise down the Nile River like my dad did before he married and had us kids! Jordan and amaxing Petra. And what is there not to love about Israel? Beautiful country that you know without a doubt that you are walking where Jesus did!
- Mexico… Donald bought a time share in Cancun years ago so we have been to this area of Mexico many times. We don’t go during the busy, spring break madness. It’s more laid back in the fall. We skip the bars and such. Instead, we explore ruins, participate in turtle releases, travel to different places in Quintana Roo, take Mexican cooking classes and lay on the beach and soak up the sun.
Where were we recently?
- Cancun and Isla Mujeres
- San Francisco
- Thailand & Singapore
- Barcelona, Spain
- Cuba (2nd trip in less than a year)
- Disney World
- Cabo San Lucas
- Greece & Croatia Cruise on RC’s Rhapsody of the Seas
- Southern Italy
- Cruising South America & Artic
- Israel & Jordan
- Egypt with Dr Hawass
- Iceland for our anniversary ♥️
Where to next?
- Looking into the Goreme, Turkey region.
Dreaming about going to:
- Scotland & Ireland. Maybe I can trace my father’s family and learn more about the Duty and earlier Ross family. Maybe we can even find the castle rumored to have been our families before siding with the loosing king! Dang it! Oh well. That’s how we ended up living in the USA! Can’t beat the USA for the best place to live, but I’d still love to see where our family came from.
- Australia & New Zeland
- I’d like to go back to Iceland and take a photography tour with Iurie Belegurschi. I’m a big fan of his landscape and Aurora photography.
- Finland and Senja during the months that the Aurora are dancing over the Aurora Observatory My daughter, Ashley wants to go too.
- Germany. Want to spend a lot more time there. Part of my mother’s family is German, but that’s all I really know about her side of the family.
- Washington, DC to finally see the cherry trees blooming. Even after my many trips to DC, this would be my first time to experience their beauty. Something I’ve always wanted to see!
- A Viking Ocean Cruise. Trying to decide which of their many cruises to take. Any recommendations?
Where should we go next??? I’d love to hear your ideas, recommendations and travel stories!!
We have a long travel wish list! So many places to see, so little time!!!
Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to travel more?
Keep in contact with us!
Thanks for stopping by! Please ask if you have any questions about places we have visited. Or share your adventures with myself and others that love to travel. We can all learn from each other.
Own a company and have an interesting offer to trade photography for travel? I just might be game. Contact me at ValerieDutyCitrano@gmail.com and title your message Travel for Photos